Tuesday, March 1, 2011

muels declines offer to play in World Cup

Samuels declines offer to play in World Cup


| A

Marlon Samuels celebrates his half-century, West Indies v Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI, Trinidad, April 12, 2008
Marlon Samuels had been banned by the West Indies Cricket Board in 2008 © AFP
Enlarge

Marlon Samuels, the West Indies and Jamaica batsman, has declined a chance to play in the World Cup as a replacement for an injured Dwayne Bravo. Samuels, who served a two-year ban from official cricket for links with an Indian bookmaker, said he was "not 100% ready" for one-day cricket, and wanted, instead, to focus on the four-day game on the domestic circuit.

"First of all, I want to say thanks to the regional selectors for sitting down and thinking about selecting me for the World Cup. I am honoured to get such a phone call," Samuels told the Jamaica Gleaner. "But as I had said in interviews before the start of the tournament, I want to focus on four-day and not one-day cricket, and try to be out there in the sun for hours on top of hours. I am doing that at the moment.

"I still don't think I am 100 per cent ready and I want to be honest with myself. I hope the selectors understand and respect my decision."

Samuels had been banned by a West Indies Cricket Board disciplinary committee in 2008 for discussing team information with Mukesh Kochar and later approaching him to pay a hotel bill. He returned to official cricket in May last year and is now playing for Jamaica in the Regional Four Day Competition, the Caribbean's first-class domestic tournament.

Samuels played 29 Tests and 107 ODIs for West Indies over an eight-year span, and is keen to return to Tests during the home series against India and Pakistan following the World Cup. "I am definitely looking to play in the upcoming home series, so hopefully I will continue on the road that I am and continue to score centuries," he said.

Bravo, who suffered a knee injury in West Indies' opening game against South Africa, was ultimately replaced by the Guyana legspinner Devendra Bishoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment